Tuesday, July 11, 2006

FROM THE PUBLISHER >> Let’s help him find a long-lost brother

BY GARRICK FELDMAN
Leader publisher

We get calls from readers asking for all kinds of help. Sometimes they’re looking for lost relatives, and we’ll try to reunite them, but we don’t always succeed.

People call from out of state looking for a relative who may have served here in the military decades ago, but they may be long gone from the area, or they may even be dead.

Michael Sholes, 59, called last week from Chesapeake, Va. He’d seen our paper online and wanted to talk to the editor.

He’s looking for his younger brother, Stephen Wayne Sholes, 53. He’s about 53 years old and has lived in Jacksonville and Cabot in recent years.

“I haven’t seen or talked to him in 30 years. The last address I have for him was in Jacksonville,” Michael Sholes said.

“I need to see my brother,” Michael Sholes said. “It’s a family affair. It’s about a family inheritance.”

Perhaps his brother doesn’t even know his father has passed away.

“He works in electronics, installing street lights,” Michael Sholes said. “The last time I saw him was in Waynesboro, Va.”

“Our father died on December 15, 2003 in Virginia,” Sholes continued. “Our sister won’t tell us much about it.”

I had the impression she handled their father’s will and won’t share the inheritance with the brothers.

“Dad was a journalist in the Navy for 20 years,” Michael Sholes said.

He was all right then, I said.

We talked a while longer. I asked for more details about the family, although he’s reluctant to say too much more.

I don’t blame him. Why should he discuss his family’s affairs with a stranger?

I hope he finds his brother and they work out any problems they might have with their sister.

If anyone knows Stephen Wayne Sholes, or if he’s reading this, please call Michael Sholes at 757-536-0408, or write to 1229 Land of Promise Road, Chesapeake, Va. 23322.

I like that address. It shows promise.

I hope the brothers meet again, and they’ll help me finish this story.