Tuesday, October 05, 2010

TOP STORY > >Incumbent, two others seeking mayor’s seat


By rick kron
Leader staff writer

Sherwood has had three mayors—Dan Stedman, Bill Harmon and Virginia Hillman – in the past four years. So no matter who wins Sherwood’s mayor’s race in November, he or she will have the position for a full term and that hasn’t happened since Harmon retired at the end of 2006.

Virginia Hillman, the incumbent, beat out six opponents in a special election to fill the seat after Mayor Dan Stedman resigned for health reasons just four months into his term in April 2007. Former Mayor Bill Harmon, who had retired, was called back to serve as interim mayor, and was the candidate Hillman beat in a run-off to secure the job in the summer of 2007.

In this election, Hillman faces Alderman Sheila Sulcer and businessman Mike Presson. Presson was a mayoral candidate in 2006, losing to Stedman.

Hillman, 47, is divorced with two children and has worked in Sherwood for 24 years and lived in the city for the past nine years.

Presson, 57, is a widower, with three grown children. He has lived in Sher-wood since 1960 and owns and operates Press 1 Pizza.

Sulcer, who has been an alderman for the past 12 years, is married and has lived in Sherwood for 38 years.
She and her husband have two daughters and five grandchildren. Sulcer is anexecutive broker and Realtor.

The candidates’ answers are listed alphabetically.

Why do you want to be mayor?

Hillman: I am in my first term as mayor, a partial one at that.  We have accomplished many things in the past three years but much is left to be completed.  We have a good team of department heads and employees. A change in leadership would be disruptive to the progress of our city.  I enjoy serving the community where I live and would appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve with experienced leadership.

Presson: People are always asking why I’m running for mayor. Well, it’s pretty simple; I’m your neighbor and have been for 50 years. I left briefly in 1971 to earn my degree at the University of Central Arkansas. Otherwise I’ve been walking and driving these streets all of my life. I’ve been here so long I could write a book. My wife Doris left this world Oct. 1, 2007, but before she departed, Doris held me to a promise. “Michael, you will run for mayor of Sherwood again.” I balked at the idea until she said, “Michael, you will run for the kids.” Yes, I am running for the kids.

Sulcer: I’m running for mayor because I want to bring a fiscally conservative and financially responsible approach to city government. Sherwood is a great city with great people who deserve to get the most for their tax dollars. We deserve a city government that will be as careful with their money as we are with ours. We deserve a mayor who will place priority on people and providing good city services. I want to connect city government to the people of Sherwood and recruit citizens to serve on my task force to discuss city problems and services. I believe that by listening to what people are saying, I can improve city government and services.

What experiences qualify you to be mayor?

Hillman: I have been a city employee for more than 24 years.  I began employment at the age of 22.  I have worked in the finance department, planning and engineering, served as city clerk/treasurer for six years prior to being elected mayor.  I understand the revenue sources as well as the day-to-day operations.  Despite the worst economic turndown since the Depression, we have continued the level of services to our community the past three years without any decrease of services.

Presson: Most residents know I entered the Sherwood’s mayor race in the fall of 2006.  Not long after that, doctors discovered that my wife Doris had contracted leukemia. Besides my mother, Doris was the greatest woman I ever met.  She’s the reason I’m in the race today. My experiences include 11 years on the parks and recreation commission, three years on the advertising and promotion commission, two years as Sylvan Hills Elementary PTA president, two yeas as field chairman for the Optimist Club and even one year as a Tiger Cub den leader. I own my own business and know what it takes to be fiscally responsible.

Sulcer: I have been proud to serve as an alderman for the past 12 years. Prior to that I served on the Sherwood Planning Commission, and served on the parks and recreation committee. I know what it means to balance a budget, and I believe government should live within its means just as families must. I am also a member of the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce board of directors, the Sherwood Health Care Coalition and the St. Vincent Medical Center North community board.

What are the most pressing issues facing Sherwood and how will you work to solve such problems?

Hillman: We are in need of doing street overlay.  Funds have not been available since 2003.  But 2011 revenues will increase due to our higher census count. Streets have already been rated in accordance to priority.  Bids will be advertised in November of this year to begin overlay and milling. Traffic continues to be a challenge.  Brockington Road Phase I has been recently completed and Phase II is under construction and should be completed in late 2011.  This year we also opened a connection of Maryland Avenue.  We will continue to push for the completion of Maryland Avenue as well as the connection of Oakbrooke.

Presson: We have serious drainage issues that need to be addressed. People’s houses are being flooded and that is their biggest investment. We need to step in and offer solutions.  We need to make  Sherwood the greatest city in Arkansas  again.

Sulcer: Our most pressing problems are to restore our street overlay and maintenance programs as well as improving and maintaining our drainage infrastructure. We must also do a better job of making sure our first responders and public-works people have the tools necessary to perform the services required. These problems all have a common root. The current administration has not done a good job of effectively managing the finances of the city, making money for these services unavailable. Sherwood is not experiencing a revenue shortfall. Unwise and uncontrolled spending has led to the problem with delivering services to the people who are paying for them.

What are Sherwood’s strengths? 

Hillman: Sherwood has a huge community spirit. We have good support volunteers. Sherwood has continued to grow despite economic conditions.  Sherwood is positioned to develop to the north as a result of the addition of Gravel Ridge to our city. Also, Sherwood is a bedroom community with a hometown feel.  This is attractive to many who enjoy living close to the capital of Little Rock with the amenities, yet have the luxury of coming home to quieter surroundings.

Presson: Our strength is our people. When the storm hit the baseball fields a few years ago, there was an outpouring of volunteers and fundraising. That’s who we are—a city full of volunteers.

Sulcer: Sherwood’s greatest strength are the people. Sherwood is made up of good, decent and hard-working people who want a high quality of life in clean neighborhoods. They want to feel safe within their homes and out in public. They want to know that if they have a problem they can call someone in city government for help in solving it. If elected, I pledge to return the mayor’s office to the people of Sherwood and always maintain “an open-door policy.”

What would you like to see done to make Sherwood more appealing to potential residents and businesses? 

Hillman: I am proposing an economic-development district in 2011.  Our economic growth is important to our financial strength. Also, I look forward to our new middle school that will open in the fall of 2011. Good schools and strong business make for a great community. New potential residents have located in other areas due to the conditions and reputation of our schools.

Presson: We must have better schools to attract people and business. Just look north to Cabot and Beebe. The Pulaski County Special School District is a train wreck. The problem is not the teachers, support staff or administrators. The problem is Dixon Road and the school board.

Sulcer: Sherwood has lots of room to grow, both residentially and commercially. We have an excellent tax profile with no city-imposed property tax, which compares very favorably with our neighboring cities. In order to appeal to residents and businesses that will bring quality growth to our city, we must immediately reverse the deterioration of our streets, drainage and sewer infrastructure and work to improve these. City government must adopt a growth-friendly attitude that will help foster our growth. And we must make every effort that we can, as a city government, to maintain and improve the quality of pubic education in Sherwood. Sherwood is a safe, low-crime city and we must work hard to make sure it stays that way. And our fire department rating is among the best in the state, helping keep property insurance affordable for Sherwood residents.

Pulaski County Special School District seems to be in turmoil. How is that affecting Sherwood and what plans would you have to ensure the city’s children receive a strong education? 

Hillman: The new middle school on Johnson Drive will be an asset to our community.  I am excited about the leadership of our new superintendent. I believe that it is time once again for our community and district to join together to bring our community schools back. I have had the privilege of reading in our schools, rewarding good behavior in our middle school by taking students to lunch as well as participating in other events within our schools.  Good schools make a better community.  As a Keep Sherwood Beautiful member, we have helped with cleanup projects at the high school as well as the middle school.

Presson:  It’s time we secede from the PCSSD, and I will tell you why.  The PCSSD was concocted 60 years ago and it was a good idea at the time. Now less than half our tax dollars are actually being spent on our schools. We are being gouged, ripped off and taken to the cleaners. Some people say I’m a rebel for wanting to break away and create our own school district right here in Sherwood. So be it. I’d rather think of myself as a common man with common sense and attainable goals. I will raise teachers’ salaries and make sure that no child is left behind. I assure you that every student will have school books, pencils and paper – basic tools they don’t have today.

Sulcer: My two daughters were educated in the PCSSD and received a good education. I believe our schools are still doing a super job. I have always worked with our schools and will continue to be an ardent supporter.

Efforts are in the works to bring the state fair to a site near Sherwood. Do you favor this and what would you do to help bring it to the area?

Hillman: I believe the proposed regional approach to the state fair north of the river would be beneficial to all of our communities. The current location is inadequate in size and many people have safety concerns.

Presson: If the state fair comes to a site near Sherwood, the city would benefit economically from people visiting. I would communicate with our neighboring cities and help bring this to our area.

Sulcer: I believe having the state fair near Sherwood would be an asset. Anytime we can bring new people to our area, it is an opportunity for growth in business revenues and population.

How will you work with LRAFB? What relationship do you now have with the base?

Hillman: I am an active member of the Little Rock Air Force Base Community Council. I have had the privilege of attending many events, including change of commands, farewells and welcomes. I have recently appointed a military liaison to enhance the relationship between the city and our military. I recognize that the LRAFB, as well as Camp Robinson, is important to our community. Many of our residents are active and retired military.  We appreciate their service and appreciate their influence in our community.

Presson: I was a salesman to the base for 25 years. One of my employees is a retired lieutenant colonel from the base and also a dear friend. I have many friends who are connected to the base and also many customers. They are a very valuable asset to our community.

Sulcer: The city of Sherwood has always partnered with LRAFB. We have a tremendous number of Air Force retirees and active duty members who are members of our community. The Air Force base is very important to our city and I will work to maintain that relationship.

What one thing do you want voters to know about you and think about when they are making their ballots? 

Hillman: Integrity and honesty is important to all, especially in public office. I have maintained that standard in my conservative decisions.

Presson: Those closest to me know I fulfill my promises. I back up everything I say. Honesty, transparency and accountability – that’s Mike Presson. I will stop the hanky-panky in local government and clean up the mess. We deserve some clean, fresh air around here. Sherwood deserves better.
Sulcer: I would like to convey to the voters that no one would work harder as mayor than I will. I may not always have the answer to every problem, but with the help of the council and the citizens of Sherwood, I will work to find that answer. And, I will always tell the truth.