Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TOP STORY >> Two running for seat on Cabot City Council

By JOAN McCOY
Leader staff writer

Angie Armstrong Hoschouer is running for re-election for the Cabot City Council in Ward 3, Position 1. She is being challenged by Irene C. Ernst.

Hoschouer is the daughter of Tom and Melanie Armstrong. She grew up in Arkansas in a military family and graduated from Cabot High School in 1992.

“Cabot has been my home since I was a little girl,” she said. “It’s where I’ve chosen to live, work, attend church and to raise my son, Fox Hoschouer. I got married over the summer to Eric Jones and he relocated to Cabot because he understands how important serving the Cabot community is to me. He’s worked for Bryce Corporation in Searcy for more than 20 years and together we have three children: Jerril, Hannah and Fox.

“I’ve been blessed to be able to substitute teach in Cabot and devote more time to my family over the last year,” she said.

Ernst, 58, was born in Gary, Ind. She moved here in 2003, having selected Cabot based on research of the area, proximity to Little Rock Air Force Base and the veterans medical facilities.

“Even though we have no children,” she says, “we were pleased with the school district knowing that great schools produce great citizens.”

Why do you want to be an alderman?

Hoschouer: I’ve served as your alderman for Ward 3, Position 1 the last two years. It was an honor that you choose me to represent you in the position my father, (the late) Tom Armstrong, held for eight years before me. I want to continue to serve you because I love our community, and I want to see our needs be met for us, our children and our grandchildren. I think that each citizen in Cabot is important, and I am always considerate of needs that are brought to me.

Ernst: I have served my country for over 20 years in the Navy and continue to serve this community through various volunteer and charitable activities. Since Cabot is my home, I want to expand my service to include all the residents of this fine city by serving on the city council. I have been attending council meetings for many years and feel that my education, experience and genuine concern for the good of the city and its residents have more than prepared me for this position.

What educational and professional experiences qualify you to be an alderman?

Hoschouer: After graduating from Cabot High School in 1992, I attended UCA. I’ve worked in the business community for over 15 years and the educational community over the last year. I’m also a licensed insurance agent. I’ve gone through a large amount of continuing education over the years and have been involved with several philanthropic organizations. However, I feel like my best qualification is that I represent you. Like you, I go to work, I come home and do homework with my child, I attend church here, I spend time with my family and I care about what goes on in my community. I feel I represent you well, because I am invested in our community and my decisions affect my family and yours so I am careful when I make them.

Ernst: I have lived in cities of various sizes and have traveled a great deal throughout my life and have always immersed myself into each community, always wanting to be a responsible citizen. I have an associate’s degree in general studies, but it’s my variety of life’s experiences and leadership positions that qualify me to serve on the Cabot City Council.

What are the most pressing issues facing Cabot and how will you work to solve such problems?

Hoschouer: Cabot has experienced phenomenal growth over the last two decades and that has caused us some growing pains especially traffic-wise. I want to continue to work to overcome those problems and be proactive for our future needs. I also want to work to meet the recreational needs for our children and community.

Ernst: Cabot continues to grow at a rapid pace, but with that growth comes the duty to grow responsibly. We offer a small-town environment with close proximity to metropolitan areas, but we must ensure our infrastructure meets the needs of both our current residents and those that come here to work, shop and play. We all need to feel safe and secure and I will support responsible decision making to ensure we have the people and tools in place to manage our current needs and plan for the future of our residents through fiscal responsibility and management.

What do you want voters to know about you and think about when they are casting their ballots?

Hoschouer: I appreciate the opportunity to serve you and hope you will give me your vote to continue to represent you. I am conservative and will always take into consideration how my decisions affect you. My priorities are God, my family, and my community. Thank you for taking this opportunity to get to know me better.

Ernst: I want the voters to know that I genuinely care about the people of Cabot, and if elected I will represent all of them to the best of my ability. I support the police and fire departments and want to ensure that they are adequately staffed and trained to ensure the safety of our most precious city commodity — our people.