Tuesday, April 26, 2016

TOP STORY >> Accused say not guilty in murder

Leader staff writer

The three teenagers accused in the murder of another teen last Thursday in the Bill Harmon Recreation Center parking lot pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Pulaski County Circuit Court.

All three — Xavier Porter, 17, of North Little Rock; Quincy Parks, 15, of 8709 Holiday Drive, Sherwood, and Trevone Miller, 14, of 2001 Madison Layne Court, Sherwood — are being charged as adults in the death of Bryan Allen Thompson, 17, a Sylvan Hills High School student.

Porter is a student at Sylvan Hills High School. Parks is a student at North Pulaski High School, and Miller, who was expelled from Sylvan Hills, was listed as being homeschooled.

The two older teens, Porter and Parks, are charged with capital murder and aggravated robbery. The 14-year-old suspect, Miller, was charged with first-degree murder and aggravated robbery.

The teens are being held in the Pulaski County Detention Center on $200,000 bond.

The Sherwood City Council on Monday night discussed the lighting and cameras at the recreation center.

Alderman Bill Harmon asked if the council needed to find funds to add more lights or cameras to help prevent this kind of tragedy from occurring again.

He was told by Sonny Janssen, the parks and recreation director, that there were some areas the camera didn’t cover and a few more on the light poles in the parking lot would help.

Mayor Virginia Hillman said the city needed to review the status of lighting and cameras at all city buildings.

Police responded to the recreation center about 2:30 p.m. Thursday on a call about an unresponsive, and possibly dead individual, in a car in the parking lot.

Sherwood Police Sgt. Eddie Alvis was one of the first on scene, along with Officer Dale Peters. They found a silver car parked in the back row of the west parking lot.

Thompson was in the driver’s side seat, pale with blood on his chin. When Alvis went to shake him, thinking he might be sleeping or passed out, Thompson was stiff. Inside the car, Alvis found a bag of marijuana on the front floorboard.

Thompson’s body was discovered by two recreation center employees who called the police.