Tuesday, May 16, 2017

TOP STORY >> Military spouse keeps winning streak going

Brittany Boccher of Little Rock Air Force Base was named the 2017 Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year presented by Military Spouse magazine at an awards ceremony Friday.

“I had the honor of attending the 2017 Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year events in D.C. The program celebrates its 10th year with a focus on empowering the military spouse. It is an absolute honor to be recognized among phenomenal military spouses, specifically recognized as the Military Spouse of the Year representing more than 1.1 million military spouses of the armed forces,” Boccher said. “I’m extremely humbled and thankful for those fellow spouses and leaders in our community who believe in me and encourage me to continue my work volunteering, mentoring spouses, fighting for inclusion and equal rights and opportunities for people with special needs. It’s beyond gratifying to represent my fellow spouses and be trusted by so many of my peers to represent our wonderful military spouse community.”

Boccher accepted the award in front of more than 250 of the nation’s top military supporters. The next morning she appeared before a national television audience in New York on “Fox and Friends.”

“Brittany is one more example of just how special this OSI family really is, and we’re very fortunate to have her as one of us,” wrote Brig. Gen. Keith M. Givens, Air Force Office of Special Investigations commander, in a congratulatory email. “She is one impressive spouse, mother and volunteer.”

Boccher and her husband Adam, an Office of Special Investigations agent, have two children: their daughter, Harper, and their son, Blake.

Her road to the Department of Defense award included her second-straight Little Rock AFB Military Spouse of the Year award, followed by winning at the Top 18 regional level and then at the Air Force branch level.

Her platform is special needs families. She has a son with Down syndrome.

“It’s important to me to see those programs improve, because I believe there’s always room for improvement in any program,” she said.

She says it’s important to garner relationships outside the gate and to build that community that supports Little Rock air base.

“I tie in my work with the Down syndrome community with the base in the exceptional family member program and try to really marry those two together,” she said.

“I can tell you the Military Spouse of the Year program as a whole has really made my voice heard over being Brittany Boccher that’s just pounding at the door because I want a therapeutic special needs swing for children versus saying,” she said.

“‘I’m Brittany Boccher. I’m president of the spouses club and I’m Military Spouse of the Year, and I really want to see this get done.’ It’s just really provided me the voice. I already had the foundation and the platform, but it’s opened those doors for me.”

“There are so many outstanding Air Force spouses who are dedicated to making exceptional changes in our military community,” Brittany Boccher said early in the competition. “To be recognized among them is an honor in itself and to be awarded the overall Air Force Spouse of the Year is an absolute privilege which I humbly accept.”

Boccher, a self-proclaimed “seasoned Air Force spouse of 11 years,” along with the other five Military Spouse of the Year contenders submitted profiles of themselves for judging. Many of her 2016 accomplishments significantly improved the lives of others.

She is president of the Little Rock AFB Spouses Club, which increased participation by 800 percent resulting in the club stocking the on-base food pantry to maximum capacity, providing backpacks for more than 300 military children, collecting and packaging more than 75 care packages for deployed troops, and supporting the school by purchasing physical-education equipment and assisting in the building of pollinator gardens.

Boccher participated in the signing of House Bill 1162, the Retired Military Tax Cut in Arkansas. Its passage creates tax relief for military retirees beginning in January 2018.

She is the founder and director of the Down Syndrome Advancement Coalition “Tank Filled Life” project, educating and advocating for individuals with Down syndrome. The coalition partners with active Down syndrome organizations in Arkansas on behalf of Down syndrome families, including the Bocchers.

She teamed with base officials to build a playground with accessible therapeutic swings supporting children with physical disabilities.

Boccher holds a bachelor of science degree in community- health education and kinesiology and a master’s degree in nonprofit leadership and management, which enabled her to establish two personal businesses and mentor and encourage nearly a dozen military spouses on becoming small business owners.

“I’m thankful for those who believe in me and encourage me to continue my work mentoring spouses, fighting for inclusion and equal rights and opportunities for people with special needs,” she said. “It’s beyond gratifying to represent the Air Force and be trusted by so many of my peers to represent our wonderful military spouse community.”

Boccher also owns Brittany Boccher Photography and is co-owner of Mason Chix apparel. Both companies support the advancement of Down syndrome treatment, research and neuro-developmental therapies, as well as other military spouse entrepreneurs.

“I’m extremely proud, but most of all I’m thankful for the opportunity to share this with my family and be an example to my daughter of how one person can make change happen,” Boccher said.