Tuesday, March 11, 2008

SPORTS >>West to play for Huntsville

By JASON KING
Leader sportswriter

North Pulaski senior Greg West will take the next step in his soccer career at the University of Alabama at Huntsville next season.

West signed his letter of intent to play for the Division II school on Tuesday afternoon at the NPHS library in front of family, friends and faculty.

West has led the Falcons to four victories so far in the 2008 as NP’s standout forward. He leads the team with 20 goals, and has scored at least once in all eight Falcon varsity matches this spring.

West has not yet had a chance to visit the UAH campus, but has stayed in close contact with Chargers coaches Carlos Peterson and Richard Morton.

“I sent tapes out to a lot of different schools,” West said. “But they are the only ones who stayed with me. I talked to them almost every week on the phone. I’m ready. How I do as a freshman depends on whether or not I get a full ride.”

West’s scholarship goes halfway towards tuition, but an impressive showing during his first year as a Charger could land him a full-paid ride.

West said the coaches at Huntsville were impressed by his speed, and that Morton called stated his “pace was dangerous.”

West is excited for his shot at the next level, but is also geared up for one more conference season with the ever-improving Falcons. He was not afraid to make a bold prediction.

“We will win conference this year,” West said. “I know we will. I would be very surprised, and very upset, if we don’t.”