Tuesday, August 23, 2016

EDITORIAL >> Straight talk

Leader staff writer Rick Kron will moderate a town hall meeting on community relations between the Jacksonville Police Department and residents at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8 at the community center.

Residents can email questions to The Leader at leadernews@arkansasleader.com, submit them to the moderator at the meeting or ask the question themselves from the audience.

A panel including the police chief, the new district judge, one or more aldermen and a city police officer will answer questions from the public.

Police Chief Kenny Boyd asked our reporter to moderate and compile the questions. The police department will have no control over the questions. “If it’s asked, someone on the panel will answer it,” the chief said.

Boyd was inspired to hold the town hall meeting after one of the recent police shootings. “I had emails from two residents asking me what I was doing to prevent Jacksonville police from shooting black people. I told them come on in and talk to me. One did, and it was a very good conversation, and I want to extend that conversation,” the chief said.