Wednesday, August 09, 2017

TOP STORY >> Young author reads to kids

By JEFFREY SMITH 
Leader staff writer

Young Jacksonville author Akire Williamson last week read her anti-bullying book “Twinkle” to her friends during storytime at the Jacksonville Boys and Girls Club.

Williamson, 9, is a fourth grader at Murrell Taylor Elementary School and a Boys and Girls Club member.

“Twinkle” is the story of a star who runs away from home because she is being bullied for being too small. When she lands on Earth she meets Aliya who helps Twinkle learn lessons about how to handle bullies: Speak up. Don’t become a bully, and be yourself.

“I wrote the book because I was being bullied because I was small. I put my feelings into pictures and words. A lightbulb went off in my head,” Akire said.

“My momma loves the stars, cosmos and the Earth. One time she told me to talk to a tree and my cousin to talk to a leaf – I’m for real,” she said.

A copy of “Twinkle” is available for check out at the Cabot Public Library. The book ($16) and coloring book/journal ($8) are available for purchase at Pyramid Art Books and Custom Framing, 1001 Wright Ave. in Little Rock and on Amazon.com.

A copy of her book is on display at Jacksonville Mayor Gary Fletcher’s office.

“You can be anything you want to. Just because someone says stuff about you doesn’t mean you stop following your dreams. They really don’t know you. It doesn’t matter where your clothes are from. At least you’re wearing clothes and have shoes on your feet,” Akire said.

“I’m going to save up my money and go to college to get a good education. I want to be a nurse, veterinarian or president,” she said.

Akire is thinking about attending Philander Smith College in Little Rock

Mary Ousley, Williamson’s grandmother, said Akire always wanted to write a book. She made her first book when she was 4 years old.